Tuesday, August 11, 2015

My Superhero

Where to begin, Logan has been doing great, as usual. He was moved into his privte room, which is really nice! They took out his arterial line in his leg because they no longer needed daily blood draws. Before he was moved he was on 100% oxygen at a flow rate of 4. He has been weaning for a few days and is now down to 50% at a flow of 1 and he is maintaining his oxygen levels. They want his o2 saturation levels to be between 75-85, he will never have 100% o2 saturation like most of us do, but thats to be expected. They are happy with his numbers.

Once we were moved we were basically given free reigh over him. We can pick him up whenever we want, we can change his diapers, we can dress him. It is just amazing. It is starting to feel normal, besides the environment. I have been taking full advantage of these opportunities. Yesterday we had a nurse whom I hadnt met before, and I was holding Logan and she asked if I wanted to do skin to skin, which I had never done, and I was a little hesitant, but she insisted. So, we did. I took my top off and we stripped him down. She said, if he looks like he wants to breastfeed, you can try. I was blown away, I was like.... WHAT?! So, we gave it a shot. At first he just kept getting frustrated, he would latch and then let go. Eventually we gave up and just let him lay on me, the nurse left. Logan began rooting again so I gave it another shot, and he latched!! He breastfed for about a minute, maybe 2. It wasnt long, but it was incredible. I didnt even think to ask about breastfeeding him, it never even crossed my mind. I am so thankful for that nurse.

He still has an NG tube, and as of this morning they have stopped feeds for 8 hours, and we are to offer him food in a bottle or by breast, to see how he does. Theyre hope is that by stopping feeds he will feel the sensation of emptiness, and want to eat in a sitting. They are going to offer him a bottle at nighttime, but at during those hours, whatever he doesnt eat, will be put in his NG tube.

They took him off of his EKG monitor, they are no longer checking his heart rate or respirations. The only thing on the monitor is his o2 saturation level. He still has his chest tube for drainage. We were told his output has to be below 20 for 24 hours before it will come out and it is typically one of the last things to come out. The doctor said he is at 30 right now, so itll be a few more days.

I couldnt be happier, he is amazing. I am so proud of how strong he is. All of these heart babies are incredible. Theyre super heros!

Jake and Corbin are coming up today. Itll be nice now that we are in a private room, Corbin wont have AS much to get into. My plan is to stay here as long as possible with Corbin before we have to go home. He can only handle being here for a few days, but we will see what happens. Its not easy to keep him content, especially in a hospital setting, and its really no place for him to be hanging out in.

Thats about all I have for now. We are going to work on feeding and wean off the oxygen, once thats done and they are happy, I cant see why we couldnt go home. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

2 comments:

  1. How amazing! Brings tears to my eyes!! He is such a tough little guy. We are about to start this journey in a couple of days, and you, your husband, and Logan are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he's an amazing little boy already Shannon- reading this brought such happy tears to my eyes - light at the end of the tunnel is wonderful congrats and stay strong <3

    ReplyDelete